Yoga comprises, some of the best poses and techniques which are more than lifesavers and benefits the human body tremendously, anulom vilom is one of them. It is that practice that is capable of dealing with very intense body problems also. Moreover, there’s evidence that alternative nostril breathing may benefit your mind, in addition to your cardiovascular and respiratory system. It’s also demonstrated to decrease stress.
Are you here looking around for the benefits anulom vilom has to offer? Then there is nothing to worry about or searching around. You will get all the areas covered and all the questions answered with this in-depth blog post.
Keep reading ahead to grabsomeinfo and enlighten yourself with the amazing benefits of anulom vilom.
What is Anulom Vilom?
Anulom vilom is really a particular kind of controlled breathing (pranayama) in the practice of yoga. It entails holding one nostril closed while inhaling, then holding the other nostril closed while bending. The method is then reversed and replicated.
Alternate nostril breathing is also believed to possess many physical and psychological benefits, including stress reduction and enhanced circulation and breathing. There is scientific evidence that supports some of those claims.
Stepwise Procedure for Performing Anulom Vilom
Keep a calm mind and sit in a cross-legged position. You can sit some of these yoga postures like Padma asana, sukha asana or vajra asana or any other handy asana.
- Maintain your spine erect and go directly.
- Close the right nostril with your right thumb.
- Exhale from the left nostril then again inhale deeply from the exact same.
- Now close the left nostril with the little finger of the perfect hand. Hold your breath indoors for a couple of moments (15 minutes ).
- Now get rid of the right thumb and exhale from the right nostril. Then again inhale in the ideal nostril.
- Again hold your breath inside for a few moments and eliminate the left little finger in the nostril and inhale.
- Maintaining on repeating the procedure for at least 5 minutes. You’re able to increase the duration of the exercise to 10 min and 15 mins along with practice.
Benefits of Anulom Vilom
As most of us know any kind of exercise or physical activity helps to decrease cortisol levels, and this can be true in the example of anulom vilom too! Researchers from a study published in the Journal of Indian Medical Association found that participants who have conducted anulom vilom demonstrated improvement in stress levels, compared to individuals who practised suryanamaskar.
We can reduce anxiety by doing this exercise and in turn enhance the overall functioning of the body. Additionally, this helps us keep ailments such as depression and stress at bay. Even the way our brain works improves, which helps to:
- Prevent neurological disorders
- reduce headaches/migraines
- manage anger
- Enhance the quality of sleep
Maitains Healthy Heart
Anulom vilom enhances the operation of the heart and benefits it by making sure an uninterrupted flow of blood. Additionally, it prevents artery blockage, which makes arteries cleaner, enhancing blood circulation and shielding us against heart attacks or cardiac arrests. Furthermore, moderate cholesterol, HDL (High-Density Lipoprotein) and LDL (Low-Density Lipoprotein) are at acceptable levels.
Controlled breathing aids in better oxygen and blood circulation within the body. Which will be able to assist you with any stomach-related ailments, or maybe constipation. In addition, it will help to improve the functioning of your digestive system.
As it reinforces the functioning of the digestive tract. Additionally, it may help in surplus weight loss and obesity disorders. This requires one to have natural and high-quality meals which not only improve digestion but also imbibe favourable energy.
Reduces Snoring and Sinus Issues
Constant breathing removes blockages in nostrils and guarantees the smooth flow of oxygen source within the human body. Problems like snoring and nasal would then be cleared and enhance the quality of sleep. In addition, it helps strengthen the immune system and fights against viruses like the common cough and cold.
Calms the Mind
Can be considered as a continuation to the above stress reduction point. But here are some of the research and trials are done to prove that process.
At a randomized controlled trial, 96 medical students were divided into two classes. 1 group performed bhastrika along with anulom vilom pranayama for 2 months. Another done suryanamaskar. Both teams showed enhanced overall well-being. But just the pranayama group demonstrated significant improvement in cognition and anxiety.
A 2018 evaluation indicates that various types of yogic breathing can benefit neurocognitive, psychophysiological, biochemical, and metabolic functions in healthy men and women.
Precautions While Practising Anulom Vilom
- Initially, for at least 3-4 months, exercise anulom-vilom without holding your breath.
- Don’t hold your breath aggressively.
- Sit still while practising this asana.
- Increase the length of the asana slowly.
- Inhale and exhale easily, rhythmically and without creating any type of sound.
- Individuals with high blood pressure must practise this asana without no even holding their breath.
- Consistently practice after proper consultation or under the advice of a specialist.
My Final Verdict
I usually don’t add conclusion statements much but when I add them I really mean them. See, in the end, I only want to clarify one thing that not only anulom vilom benefits the whole body. But the complete pranayam stated in yoga is highly beneficial which I also said in (Yoga Exercises | You Should Do | Daily |) this post of mine. Well, do check that out too.
I have personally practised anulom vilom for more than 2-3 months and got the results. It strengthened me, cured my long time migraine illness and also increased my stamina. More to follow. Just practise anulom vilom for at least 5-10 minutes daily and you will get results in no time!
Do Check Out!
- HOW TO REMOVE TAN | AT HOME
- WHAT IS DENGUE FEVER | PRECAUTIONS TO BE TAKEN | TREATMENT
- WHAT MENTAL HEALTH IS? | HOW TO DEAL WITH IT?
- VITAMIN D | SOURCES FOR | VEGETARIANS | IMPORTANCE
- HEALTH EFFECTS OF SMOKING
THAT’S ALL FOLKS!
If you liked the blog, don’t forget to like and do scroll down to subscribe to my blog to get notified next time whenever I publish a new blog. Thanks!